A news round-up of global hot topics
- Japan pins hopes on green power laws, risks abound – Reuters: The country is struggling to overhaul its energy policies after the March quake and tsunami triggered a nuclear disaster that shattered the public’s confidence in the safety of the atomic industry and delayed the restart of idled plants… (more)
- U.S. Wind Industry Shows Strong Recovery – EarthTechling: Did you know that, since 2007, 35% of America’s new electrical generating capacity has been powered by wind–more than twice the amount of new coal and nuclear capacity combined? New numbers from the second quarter of 2011 show that the trend is continuing… (more)
- Bouncing from sugar cane to synthetic rubber – CNET News: Genomatica said today it has successfully produced butadiene, following the trend of many biofuel and biotech start-ups pushing into industrial chemicals… (more)
- Protecting Today’s Electical Grid — and Tomorrow’s Smart Grid – energyNOW!: In 2003, a power line near Cleveland, Ohio sagged into a tree and shorted out. It started a cascade of failures across the Midwest, Northeast and parts of Canada, causing the worst blackout in U.S. history. Since then, utilities and grid operators have implemented new technology and procedures to guard against another major blackout… (more)
- In Race for Solar Integration, N.J. Company Takes Pole Position – Renewable Energy World: The ubiquitous utility pole stands proudly as an example of a necessary, yet perhaps unsightly, addition to the modern world. When they were going up, there may have been some groans. But, really, do we even notice them anymore?.. (more)
For more cleantech industry updates, sign up for Edelman’s Cleantech Tracker on our website.