A news round-up of global hot topics
- Japan parliament passes key renewable energy reform – Reuters: The country is struggling to overhaul its energy policies after the March quake and tsunami triggered a nuclear disaster that shattered the public’s confidence in the safety of the atomic industry and delayed the restart of idled plants… (more)
- The Silent Energy [R]evolution 20 Years in the Making – Renewable Energy World: The bright future for renewable energy that has long been predicted is already under way. Analysis of the global power plant market shows that since the late 1990s, capacities of wind and solar installations have grown faster than any other power plant technology across the world… (more)
- US expected to become world’s top ethanol exporter – Ethanol Producer Magazine: A recent report from the U.S. DOE’s Energy Information Administration confirms what many in the ethanol industry already knew — exporting ethanol has become big business. Rising demand for U.S. ethanol from overseas markets began in 2010 as a result of Brazil’s diminished production levels and a relaxation of trade restrictions in several countries… (more)
- IBM Tests If Smart Meters Can Prod Consumers into Using Less Energy – GreenBiz: IBM is testing how the smart grid can change consumer behavior with a project letting 1,000 households see real-time, detailed energy data… (more)
- 7 ways to give solar market a big bounce – GigaOm/Earth2Tech: What needs to happen for the solar industry to recover from the current slump? That’s been the question on the minds of manufacturers, service providers and investors in the past few months when solar panels were piling up in warehouses and prices were falling… (more)
For more cleantech industry updates, sign up for Edelman’s Cleantech Tracker on our website.