A news round-up of global hot topics
- As winter approaches, UK worries about energy poverty – Greenbang: With energy bills for the average UK resident rising dramatically this summer, politicians and citizens alike have been looking ahead toward the winter months with growing apprehension… (more)
- Facebook Unveils ‘Social Energy’ App – Forbes: Well hello there, Facebook users. Pardon me while I interrupt that rousing game of Trash Tycoon for just a quick moment to help spread the word about a soon-to-be-launched app — a “social energy application,” if you will — announced earlier today by the folks over at FB in partnership with mighty environmental advocacy group the Natural Resources Defense Council and Home Energy Report-pioneering startup Opower…. (more)
- GM Switchgrass Could Boost Future Bio-Fuel Production – Triple Pundit: Not so long ago, it seemed that biofuels were assumed to be the best means for us to wean ourselves from our oil addiction, with ethanol, in particular, attracting most attention as a putatively green-fuel… (more)
- Can Smart Apps Save the Smart Grid? – Forbes: The other day a friend of mine asked me what he could do with the “smart meter” the electric company had just installed in his house?… (more)
- Solar industry sounds battle cry – GigaOm/Earth2Tech: This week’s gathering of the solar industry at a conference in Dallas will become a temporary central command for solar energy advocates who see an urgent need to fight back against negative portrayals of the solar sector that have resulted from Solyndra’s federal loan guarantee and bankruptcy…. (more)
For more cleantech industry updates, sign up for Edelman’s Cleantech Tracker on our website.