A news round-up of global hot topics
- China Now World Leader in Wind and Hydro – Matter Network: With 42.3 GW of wind power installed, China has now become the new world leader in wind power, having overtaken the US, with 40.2 GW, which itself bypassed the longtime world leader Germany in 2008… (more)
- Beacon Power, Backed by U.S. Loan Guarantees, Files Bankruptcy – BusinessWeek: Beacon Power Corp., an energy- storage company that received $43 million in backing from the U.S. program that supported failed solar-panel maker Solyndra LLC, filed for bankruptcy after struggling to raise private financing… (more)
- Could Biomass Technology Help Commercialize Biochar? – Renewable Energy World: A nascent biochar industry is emerging in connection with biomass power technologies that coproduce electricity and char via gasification and pyrolysis… (more)
- Solar + storage can defend the grid from attack – GigaOm/Earth2Tech: The emergence of the smart grid has raised concerns about cybersecurity among utilities; two-way digital networks are more vulnerable… (more)
- Solyndra shouldn’t spur Congress to throw solar industry under the bus – The Washington Post: With about five years worth of e-mails and other materials to examine, political and media investigations into the Solyndra bankruptcy are far from over… (more)
For more cleantech industry updates, sign up for Edelman’s Cleantech Tracker on our website.